Thursday, March 12, 2020

Let's get rolling!

GTM Panzer basic game. There
are a number of expansions that
are available as well.
I want to convert the GMT Panzer series war game to a desktop computer game.

I'm going to add an intelligent system that provides an artificial enemy. 

And then I will play this game solo.


I'll be documenting as much as I can, as often as I can. The programming challenges are daunting, but we're going to give it a go...

What is Panzer? Without going into too much detail, it's a hex-style war game covering the second world war. The focus centers on tank warfare. Each piece on the board represents a single unit. Each player manages a formation, taking turns spotting, firing and moving until one side manages to outscore the other. What's left at the end of the game is a heaping map of twisted metal and burning hulks.

Game play consists of a number of phases, each of which I will need to explore in minute detail in order to translate to the computer version. There are a significant amount of rules to implement. This will be no trivial task to program.

I'm making this up as I go. Things might not be as clear as I intend, although I am not trying to explain every little rule. That's what the rule book is for. What I will do is try and demonstrate some of the complexities that must be conquered.

Of course... complexity is subjective :) I have never created any kind of computer game let alone implement an AI system. I have never done any Windows graphics programming either. Not a great resume! But I'm up to the challenge. Hopefully at least a few will find this site somewhat interesting. Either way... I'm excited to get rolling.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an interesting premise, what are you programming with?

8traxx said...

Thanks for the question. I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio Professional. I'm programming in C# (Windows Forms), and I'm using XML for storing all of the data. The XML files will be available to edit, so you'll be able to modify quite a bit as you see fit...

- Map data
- Unit data
- Table data (i.e. Terrain table, APHit table, GP Fire table, Unit Grade table etc.)
- Scenario data
- Colours
- Settings

You should be able to create new maps as well, but can't promise this one yet.